Maitland City Council is encouraging families, friends and neighbours to use the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) Get Ready Weekend (19-20 September 2020) to prepare for bushfire season and start a broader conversation about being aware of and prepared for all hazards.
Commissioner of Resilience NSW, Shane Fitzsimmons encouraged everyone to have a conversation around being prepared for an emergency, whatever the hazard may be.
Commissioner Fitzsimmons says, ‘each year, communities across NSW may experience bushfires, home fires, floods, storms, heat waves, power outages and other emergencies.
‘This year alone has been one of unparalleled emergencies. Communities across NSW were first impacted by drought, bushfire, then storm and flood, now pandemic - and all in quick succession. This has highlighted how important it is to be prepared for all hazards.
‘Our emergency service organisations do an incredible job keeping us safe, but they can only do so much. Being aware and prepared is everyone’s responsibility.’
You can Get Ready in five simple steps:
1. Know your risk - think about the area you’re in and the types of disasters that could affect you.
2. Plan now for what you will do - sit down and talk with your family and plan for what you will do if a disaster affects your area.
3. Get your home ready - prepare your home by doing general home maintenance and checking your insurance coverage.
4. Be aware - find out how to prepare, what to do if there is a disaster in your area and connect with NSW emergency services to stay informed.
5. Look out for each other - share information with your family, friends, neighbours and those who may need assistance.
To support early planning and preparation, NSW RFS will once again host their annual Get Ready Weekend on 19-20 September, in person and online.
Please follow your local RFS brigade’s Facebook page for information as it becomes available. You can also visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au for more information.
Local events where you talk to a firefighter are being held on Saturday 19 September at Stockland Green Hills from 9.00am to 4.00pm and at Rutherford Shopping Centre from 9.30am to 1.30pm.